Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nature Girl scones

This has been an excellent weekend. I feel all renewed and spring like, with creative ideas and connections to my little brood flowing. Two gems have set this going. One, this morning I finally found a dream recipe for simple scones in a book that Nature girl gave me for Christmas. I changed them into cranberry scones, as there were no currants on hand - but they were crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, butter meltingly delicious!

Currant/(cranberry) Scones

3 cups all purpose flower
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup currants or cranberries ( I chopped the cranberries to be more curranty sized)

3/4 cup chilled butter, cut in small pieces ( worked ebven though mine was not chilled )
1 cup butter milk ( I used milk as I had no butter mlk )
1 tbsp fresh grated orange peel ( optional - but yummy! )

1-Preheat oven to 425 F

2-Grease cookie sheets

3-Mix dry ingredients ,

4- Cut in butter with pasty cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs .

5-Stir in buttermilk and orange peel. Stir until mix forms soft dough that clings together.

4-Flour hands and divide dough in half and shape each half into a ball.

5-Pat each half into an eight inch circle on cookie sheets.

6-Score each circle into eight wedges with a floured knife cutting about 3/4 of the way into the dough.

7-Bake 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned

Delicious! Willow especially loves these and now I won't miss going to breakfast at the Manx anymore.. if i can figure out how to make Jeuvos Rancheros ..

Thank you Nature girl!


the second really cool thing that got me going was this crafty note posted on Facebook by Mudmama:

he first five people to respond to this post will get something made by me! My choice. For you.

This offer does have some restrictions and limitations:

- What I create will be just for you.
- I make no guarantees that you will like what I make!
- You will receive your item before the end of the year (or sooner).
- You will have no clue what the item is going to be. It could be a story. It could be a piece of handmade jewelry or an art doll. I may draw, paint, collage or knit something. I might bake you something and mail it to you. Who knows? Not you, that's for sure!
- I reserve the right to do something extremely strange.

The catch? Oh, the catch is that in order to receive a gift, you have to repost this and make and send out five surprises of your own, so if you aren't gonna follow through and make something for five others, you get nothing from me.

P.S. You can still play if I didn't tag you...I just started to included the people I thought might want to join in.

I just love that something gets created by this chain n and more is given then received. Like the best school projects, it is pushing me to think creatively and I am actually going to come out of this with tangible rewarding creations. I think I have my five though it may be only four. I really want to see this idea passed on. I know that Fraulien Falkenburg is doing so on her blog too.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I'm going to print this up (specially according to our remedial therapy way to handle text) and use it in one of our sessions - baking is part of NG's remediation program. Send more recipes that you love. Especially stuff that requires cutting fruit, grating, or kneading!

Kerry said...

Oh and a couple things - to make butter milk just add a tbsp of lemon juice to your milk - or vinegar - or cranberries - anything that'll curdle your milk.

If you find these too salty and you use salted butter just get rid of the extra salt in the recipe - the baking soda is a salt already.

red fraggle said...

Thanks! I have more to post but don't have time today - must head to work. I'll post a couple more tomorrow!!