Saturday, November 12, 2011

140 characters at a time

I gave up Facebook social media for the month of November because I was starting to think in status updates and tweets, 120 characters at a time. Not that this is bad or good but I was compelled, checking twitter and Facebook before bed and first thing in the morning. I wanted to see if I could reset my brain and see what the effects of less social media would be. Right now, I'm stay at home momming social media does help me feel connected to grown ups so I was worried about losing that connection.

So far so good and I really feel like I'm getting lots done, am more clear headed and not compelled to sit at the computer. I'm still feeling connected to people I know though I do miss some of my online friends and I think that when the month is over I'll go back, just less often.

With the extra minutes that I would usually steal for surfing I have been decluttering the house, one zone at a time - no pictures of that because I'm doing it gradually and not stopping to record play show and tell - but it is awesome let me tell you!

I have knitted a pair of slippers, pictured below. @Mudmama sent me the pattern. My next pair will be for Willow and slightly felted in real wool.






I'm also painting with Willow lots. This one she did herself today and she took the picture.



This I took inspired by a video Willow took of the paints.



I guess my analysis so far is that giving social media has given me the time and energy to do more and create a bit. More to show for less tell? I do miss my friends and sharing recipes, events, and virtual compassion.

Any thoughts to share? Leave a comment. I do miss sharing ideas online!

2 comments:

Fraulein Eberg said...

Oh Lady Fraggle, this is so lovely, thank you for posting - looooove the slippers, used to have a pair like that made with phentex!! and that shot of little w's paints is beautiful, love the orange/blue paint! I have missed these beautiful bits of your life - xo e.

Unknown said...

Yay!

As an avid non-Facebooker, I'm so glad to see a current post here. After you're done with the house maintenance, perhaps you could put up a few pics of Fiver.